The Flame of Life (1919). Mauritz Stiller

















Chapter 1. The budding of spring
Nowhere does the heart beat as loud of joy, nowhere is a song so sweet, as in the forest in the light of spring!

Chapter 2. A mother's glance
My mother smiled in her garden, when she carried me in her heart. Oh, mother, I was not your joy but your sorrow and your pain.

Chapter 3. Living life
My homestead is by the river's edge, the foam washes over the walls. All the rivers in the world rinse my sin, to its current I give my solemn pledge.

Chapter 4. The deed of the young man
That flower glowed so red on my road, brought for my loved one to show I knew it well, from that flower's seed only roots made of sorrow would grow.

Chapter 5. Kyllikki
Oh, flower, oh, scarlet flower, thou you bleedingly, glowingly red my poor beloved knows you well, when her tears are silently shed.

Chapter 6. In the city
Let me look into the darkness, for in the abyss of life flow its oldest, deepest springs.

Chapter 7. The pilgrimage
When the darkness comes, when the wandering turns to bitterness is when the wanderer returns to his mother's hearth.

A wonderful spring! All of nature is like it was enchanted. It would surprise no one if a siren of the woods was spotted between the trees.

What was the meaning of the stars in the clear sky? It meant the maiden and bachelor would fall in love!

Comments