Barbed Wire (1927). Rowland V. Lee, Mauritz Stiller

silent movie russian poster

silent movie paramount

clive brook

pola negri window

intertitle war

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle war

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle


And almost overnight – in field and pasture – spread that thorny weed of war – barbed wire!

And at the front – again the wire, barbed and hideous – stretching over tortured ground.

– Don't you hate them, too?
– No, Mona. A man who has fought though one war learns a bitter lesson about hatred.

– My foot keeps me from being a soldier, but not from being a good husband.
– That's a pity, Pierre corlet! Frances needs soldiers – and I don't need a husband!

I came home, to my own people, to find peace. Instead, I find a bitter hatred in your hearts – a hatred strong enough to start another war!

And almost overnight – in field and pasture – spread that thorny weed of war – barbed wire!


Comments