The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924). Mauritz Stiller

greta garbo movie poster

lars hanson

countess

young greta garbo

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle life move on

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle penitence

intertitle

intertitle pride

intertitle

intertitle spring hope


We took the belissima Contessa from her Monseignor Grandessa. She gave us but a smile and after a short while we fell victim of a fierce – no, sweet vendetta and have become her slaves without regret-ta.

My sweetheart has left me never to return. My sorrows I drown, night and day, for drinking keeps my sadness at bay.

Do not judge him without hearing him.

No man who has the love of a good woman is doomed.

You won't escape by turning yourself into a beautiful corpse.

Don't you know that most people are dead already?

Life must be lived. One has to move on.

I'm the only one allowed to curse in this household, damn you!

Beware, you who beats my mother! I am my father's daughter!

I am a penitent. The highway is my home – the haystack my bed.

If a limb offends thee, cut it off – and cast it into the fire.

He suffers as much – but his pride does not allow him to show it. 

Become what I have always considered you to be – a real man!

Do you not feel that springtime fills the heart with hope?  

Comments