Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920). John S. Robertson


john barrymore silent movie poster

john barrymore

intertitle duality

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle

intertitle youth memories


In each of us, two natures are at war – the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, and one of them must conquer. But in our own hands lies the power to choose – what we want most to be, we are.

– In devoting yourself to others, Jekyll, aren't you neglecting the development of your own life?
– Isn't by serving others than one develops oneself, Sir George?
– Which self? A man has two – as he has two hands. Because I use my right hand, should I never use my left?

A man cannot destroy the savage in him by denying its impulses. The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yeld to it.

With your youth, you should live – as I have lived. I have my memories. What will you have at my age?

Comments